Let me be clear as to what drives our referees out of officiating. IT IS ABUSE. Abuse by coaches, spectators and parents. This practice must stop and the adult referees MUST show an example to our younger referees that ABUSE will not be tolerated.
It appears that some are confused about what is actually ABUSE. Let’s be clear. WPA referees are to follow the guidelines listed below. Share these with your fellow referees before and after the game and reinforce that ABUSE will not be tolerated.
- Inform both coaches that ABUSE will not be tolerated by the coaching staff, spectators or parents. If there is ABUSE, the game will be terminated.
- If during the game, there are signs of abuse, inform the coach that the next outburst will result in termination.
So what is ABUSE?
What are the signs as to when the referee should get involved? Not limited to:
- Constant complaining from the bench.
- Questioning every decision.
- Sarcastic remarks.
- Personal attacks.—SEND THE COACH OFF IMMEDIATELY
- Gyrating actions.
- Kicking or throwing objects.—SEND THE COACH IMMEDIATELY
- Unpleasant comments by the spectators or parents.—NOTIFY THE COACH THIS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED
- Personal attacks on any member of the officiating crew.—TEMINATE GAME IMEDIATELY
- If you are threatened in any way.—TERMINATE GAME IMMEDIATELY. STAY AS A TEAM AND CALL THE POLICE IF YOU STILL FEEL THREATENED.
If these circumstances occur, file a report and call the SRA, Peggy Neason, with details.
Let’s be clear, this is not the case in every game and there are certain teams, spectators and parents who have a reputation of abuse. Focus on these teams and raise your awareness level.
Protect our younger referees. They do not deserve the abuse. The question you must ask yourself. Would I want my son or daughter or my mom or dad to be treated like this? If the answer is no, then you should not take the ABUSE either.
If you are assaulted by anyone at any game do the following:
- Call Police
- Get Information– Names of person who assaulted you
- Names of witness that could verify assault
- MOST IMPORTATION OF ALL– YOU MUST FILE CHARGES WITH THE LOCAL POLICE WHERE YOU ARE OFFICIATING. WE CANNOT DO THIS FOR YOU AND IF YOU WANT THIS PERSON TO BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR WHAT HE/SHE DID THEN YOU MUST FILE REPORT OF ASSAULT.